Refrigerator Appliance Tips
Your refrigerator will operate more efficiently with these simple guidelines.
Once each year, you should clean the condensing coils located either at the back, or underneath, your refrigerator. These condensing coils are needed for proper cooling of the refrigerator. When coils become dirty the refrigerator has to work harder and dirty coils can shorten the life of your refrigerator.
How can I remove Mildew from my fridge?
Clean mildew with soft cloth dampened in a mild water-and-ammonia solution: 1 gallon of water mixed with ½ cup of ammonia then rinse the interior with a mix of water and baking soda. Do not use abrasive cleaners, bleach, or concentrated cleaning agents.
You can help food last longer by following
Store all sliced meats, dairy items (such as butter), and fresh produce in the proper drawers in your fridge. This helps them to last longer. Fridge drawers are designed to maintain the temperature and/or the humidity level at an ideal setting for these foods. Specific types of food, such as fresh produce or packaged meats will last longer in these drawers, than they would if left in the main part of the fridge.
Stove Appliance Tips
Never place aluminum foil under your burner drip bowls, or under your ovens baking element.
This can cause the stoves burners to short out. Aluminum foil placed under baking elements reflects heat back towards the element. Do not do this, as it shortens the life of your burners
Instead, replace the drip pans with new ones. Elements will work more efficiently because they will reflect more heat energy towards the pan. You will get better cooking results.
Dryer Appliance Tips
Keeping the dryer clean can be beneficial and your dryer will last longer, produce better results and be safer when you follow these suggestions:
• Clean the lint filter after every load. If lint filters aren't cleaned regularily, your drying time increases. That wastes hydro and costs you more.
• Be sure to clean the duct leading outside at least once a year. Lint accumulates in the duct causing an increase in drying times. It can also pose a potential fire hazard and has been the cause of many house fires.
Washing Machine Appliance Tips
How many clothes should I put in the washer?
To fill most washing machines without causing damage you should :
• Fill the washer with dry clothes only, until the amount of clothes you put in reaches the top of the agitator.
• Don’t press them down or try to stuff more in. That would result in a poor quality wash.
Clothes will be their cleanest when you follow these simple suggestions. Overfilling your washing machine could cause mechanical problems.
What's the best way to get rid of Detergent Residue left on clothes?
Try one of the following:
• start the washer, add the detergent, allow detergent to dissolve completely, then add your clothes.
• try reducing the amount of detergent you use.
• or increase the wash water temperature.
• or use a liquid detergent instead of powder.
What's the best way to get rid of Deodorant Stains left on clothes?
To remove stains caused by the use of deodorant sticks or sprays:
• scrub the stained area with white vinegar
• or saturate the area with denatured alcohol, scrub, and rinse
Then launder as you normally would using your favorite detergent.
How do you remove Ink Stains from clothes?
Try the following:
• for ballpoint pen and other ink stains, spray the stain with hairspray until the area looks wet; allow it to soak briefly.
• hand scrub using a heavy amount of liquid detergent, then launder.
• if stain remains, repeat.
Microwave Appliance Tips
How do you remove Food Odors from Your Microwave?
For persistent food odors in your microwave, try mixing 1 cup of water with either:
• 6 tablespoons of baking soda (mix well)
• OR 1/2 cup of lemon juice
Then place either solution in a microwave-safe dish and heat for 2 to 3 minutes on high power. When completed, wipe the inside of the oven with a paper towel or cloth.
Dishwasher Appliance Tips
Dishwashers save money and time. Here's some facts ..
• Dishwashers use less water than when you fill a kitchen sink. In fact, up to 2/3 less!
• Most dishwashers cost less than $45. annually to operate. So why do dishes by hand?
• The hotter the water, the cleaner the dishes. There is no need to pre-rinse or scrub, if the water is over 135º F
• Powdered detergents work more efficiently than gels or tabs because they have more active ingredients to remove tough food stains.
Waste Disposer Appliance Tips
Remove Bad Odors from waste disposers
To get rid of the smell, try the following solution:
• run orange or lemon rinds through your disposer to deodorize it.
• or generously sprinkle ice cubes with a household scouring powder and run through the disposer without water.
• this not only removes bad odors but will also leave a clean, sweet smell